Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"...on a rainy day in the morning light, I look back at all those photos I have accumulated-moments of awakening, split seconds, a slow motion rough cut from a film, which I have been living by proxy, more from outside than inside, swallowed up by a preexisting vision which I could only make mine if I robbed it from reality, falsified it, reinvented it... "The lie is dream caught out," says Celine... Is it dreams that my photographs are about? Or even better, are they hallucinations?
Hallucinations:(nf: in Latin hallucinatio) perceptions, individually experienced sensations without the objective, normal conditions in which they become real,
Illusions; "wishful thinking," my father said... wishing to see is enough to believe that you are seeing... and perhaps, yes I do take an empty shell as if it was a lantern... -in order to find what's not obvious, in order to wander step by step, one foot, one eye in front of the other, in the dark when it is broad daylight-yes, I do see mirages, I believe in miracles when I hear an echo between me and what I see, a resonance, the memory of a memory already lost. Yes, the eye hears before it sees... and what if it was true that... "one dreams before contemplating, and that before becoming a conscious vision, every landscape is already an imaginary experience."* Did I dream if before I saw it; the sky full of clouds threatening the hill, there high up, the trace of wind in the barley field, the fear of the child running on the bridge, the swan struck in full flight, its wings spread out, and left on a table, I would have dreamed that death has a face, that the woman walking away has lost her lover, and when I clicked the shutter on nature, petrified at midday, in full sunlight, in absolute silence, alone on the road that leads to Joncquieres... Did I dream...
yet, I do remember, I saw it with my seeing eyes, as if I had already seen it, the light too raw and the landscape frozen-It was a Sunday when I was there, I passed by... I photographed, I know. Coincidences?..."

Sarah Moon


*Baudrillard

No comments:

Post a Comment